Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 3

This week, I talked with an archivist in the book cataloging department about collection processing needs.  He will be sending me some information regarding general and institutional specific archival processes.  I was particularly interested in discussing ways to keep connections between book and manuscript items that will be transferred to other departments in the institution and prints and artworks which will stay in the art collection.  He will also be sending me a new template for findings aids that has just recently been changed, so this collection will be the first to use this new, slightly tweaked, finding aid format.  After seeing this new template, I hope to get a better idea of ways that those connections can be readable to users of the finding aid.
To prepare for this task, I have been making notes regarding the books and manuscript materials and how they relate to one another, as well as to the art items.  That information will be applicable to the finding aid as well as the inventory.
Next week I will continue with the inventory process.

No comments:

Post a Comment